Monday, March 10, 2014

Easy Peasy Chicken & Dumplings

I'm not much of a cook.  Just ask my family.  Crunchy lasagne.  Burned hamburgers.  Burned water.  But there are a few items on my menu that I can usually pull off without a major cussing fit failure. (jk-I don't cuss) These do not require the time sucking task of mixing and rolling out homemade dumplings.  Why do that when these frozen dumplings are just. as. good.  Trust me.

These chicken and dumplings are one of my family's faves.




Here's how I do it.....with a little more detail than probably necessary for those of you who can cook. :) I start out with the following ingredients:



  • 7-9 frozen chicken breast tenderloins (or 2-3 boneless chicken breasts) not pictured-you know what chicken looks like :)
  • 1 package Mary B's open kettle frozen dumplings (got mine at Wal-Mart with frozen bread and biscuits)
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1 can of chicken broth
  • 1 can of cream of chicken soup
  • Salt and pepper

1.  Boil chicken for about 20 minutes in enough water to cover the chicken plus about two inches more. 
2. Remove chicken onto cutting board and don't dump out the water!
3.  While chicken is cooling a little, lay out the frozen dumplings in a single layer on wax paper to defrost.  I use a butter knife to separate them.


4.  Cut boiled chicken into cubes.  I like smaller pieces of chicken.  My husband likes bigger pieces.  I'm cooking this so we get smaller pieces.
5.  Put cubed chicken back into water and then add butter, chicken soup, and chicken broth.  Bring to boil (medium heat.)
6.  Cut dumplings into bitesize pieces.  I like mine smaller so I don't have to cut them to eat them.  Again hubby likes them bigger (for his big mouth) but if he wants them that way, well he can do the cooking.


7. Drop dumplings into the pot of boiling water, soup, broth, and butter trying to distribute them around the pot evenly. 
8.  Boil for around 35 minutes until noodles are tender. Stir occasionally. I try not to stir too much, just make sure they are not sticking on the bottom.


9.  If you do like I have done a few times and added too much water here is what you can do so you won't have soupy dumplings:  Mix a little flour and water in a seperate bowl and slowly stir into pot to thickin it up a bit.

10.  Enjoy! Yummmm.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!