Monday, March 24, 2014

Quick & Easy Chicken Pot Pie

 


 

I'm all for shortcuts when cooking.  The easier the better.  In fact, if I find that a new recipe takes too much effort to make, it will only be made once at my house.

 

This chicken pot pie recipe was given to me by a co-worker when I first got married over 20 years ago and it is still one of my husband's favorites.  I made it tonight and he bragged on it even now after eating it many, many times.  Or he was just glad to get a hot meal.

 

What you will need:

 

1 pkg. refrigerated pie crust (includes 2 crust)

2 cans cream of potato soup

1  15 oz. can Veg-All-drained

1/2 teaspoon of pepper

1/2 teaspoon of Thyme

1/2 cup milk

2 cups of cooked chicken




Boil the chicken (this time I used 5 chicken breast tenderloins (they are so much more tender than a chicken breast-hence the name tenderloin?).  Then dice it up into whatever size pieces you prefer-I like 'em small or even shredded. 




Add all ingredients (except the pie crust) in a large mixing bowl and stir together. 




Lay one pie crust in pie pan, pour mixture in, add second pie crust on top and press edges together.  Poke holes in the top with a fork. 




You can see I pinched the edges like a pro :)

 

Bake at 425 for 30 minutes.  Let set for 10 minutes and enjoy.  Quick and easy.

 

Back before I had kids I actually made this with homemade pie crust.  Mainly because they didn't have the refrigerated kind then. :)  But this is almost just as good and so much easier and much less messy.

 

I have also used a rotisserie chicken thinking it would take less time than boiling chicken and also maybe add a little flavor but couldn't tell a difference.  If you boil the chicken tenderloins it takes less time to cut up the boneless tenderloins than to pick apart a rotisserie chicken.  So not really saving much time and the tenderloins are cheaper than buying a rotisserie chicken.  I have also cooked the chicken in the crock pot all day while at school so that makes it even quicker and easier. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!