Monday, June 23, 2014

Monogram Door Swag

I saw a version of this Monogram Door Swag somewhere on Pinterest and then I hit up Hobby Lobby and found the supplies to make my own!    I am not that crafty and the bow totally stressed me out, but I finally made my own swag for our front door! Pat myself on the back. :)




I purchased the following:

3 Boxwood Greenery............................$17.99
   ($11.99 ea. but 50% off)
Burlap Ribbon.......................................$5.99
Printed Burlap Ribbon............................$4.19
   ($6.99 and used the 40 $ off coupon)
Floral Wire............................................$1.19
"M" Black Wooden Letter .......................$7.99

                                                                     TOTAL............................................$37.35




Here's how I put it together:

1.  I used floral wire to tie together the 3 pieces of greenery.  I first taped them with clear packing tape to make this a little easier.  Notice that the stem in the middle is lower than the outer two to take the swag point in the middle at the bottom.



2.  I then made the bow using the printed burlap layered on the plain burlap ribbon.  It took several tries, and is far from perfect, but I hope it resembles a bow.  There are many tutorials for making bows and I read a few and just made loops and twisted.  I then used the floral wire to wrap it tight.  I did miss one of the loops that later came loose and I just hot glued it back in place.



3. I then took the end of the ribbon that was left when I finished and made a loop that I hot glued down.


4.  I then attached the bow on top of the greenery using floral wire.  I looped it and wove it through the stems to make it more secure.



5.  I doubled up a piece of floral wire and looped it around the stems to attach my letter.  I then hot glued each end to the letter.  And then I hot glued some more.  Some letters would allow you to loop a piece of ribbon around them to attach (like an "O" or an "S").  This was hard to photograph.  This picture shows one side of my wire that I glued to one side of the letter.  I glued the other end of wire to the other side of the letter.


6.  I then made a loop using the floral wire and wrapped at around the stems to have a hook to hang it with.  And the best part.....hanging it on my front door!



 
 
Linked to:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




4 comments:

  1. That bow would have totally stressed me out too, but you did a beautiful job! I love anything monogrammed, so this is just perfect in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cute! I love the greenery that you added to your swag, and you can never go wrong with an initial! Thanks for linking up with us at Best of the Nest, Sherri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I like the ribbon you chose. I have a slight (ahem...overwhelming) obsession of initial letters. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!