Saturday, January 3, 2015

Run Out and Buy This!

$169!!!


I'm sure you've heard the hype about Dyson vacuums.  May even own one.  When I had a house full of carpet we invested in a Kirby upright at the tune of around $1100 for the vacuum and the shampooing attachment (never used!).  After it was demonstrated in our home I was impressed and bit the bullet.  It is a great vacuum for carpet and still does a good job.  Was it worth that much money?  Not sure. I do feel that it has fairly good suction but I do think it has lost some of it's oophm/suction after using it for going on 12 years.  But for our carpeted bedrooms it is what I still use.  

But.....for my tiled kitchen I need something lightweight to do those quick daily almost daily cleanups.  I really didn't want to mess with a cord (that's NOT quick) and the kicker is that it had to be powerful enough to vacuum the rug in front of my sink.  I had tried the corded Dirt Devil Stick vacuum (corded but for $16 I suffered a cord) but it would not do the job on the rug. (That's What She Said!)




So I bit the bullet and purchased the Electrolux ErgoRapido Ultra+ Bagless Vacuum from Lowe's for around $130.  (Different colored/newer version one now on clearance for $99 here.)



And it was great!  Adequate suction, cordless, easy enough to empty and it did a great job on the rug. And I loved it......for about a year.    Then it wouldn't stay charged very long and the motor was just barely chugging along.  Womp Womp. You could hear the motor getting weaker and weaker in a matter of minutes and it was just barely sucking anything up.  I expected more for $130.  After reading about this common problem online, I think that leaving it plugged in all the time in the charging stand lead to the ruining of the rechargeable battery.

So one day a couple of weeks ago, Raining Hot Coupons posted a deal on Facebook about the Dyson DC35 Cordless for $169 at Wal-Mart.  Now I had been looking at these since my Electrolux went kapooey. One version of a Dyson stick vac was $399 at Bed Bath and Beyond.  Target had one on sale for $299.  I just couldn't find it in myself to pay that much for a stick vacuum.  My $16 Dirt Devil was looking pretty good!

But I might could swing $169 for a stick vacuum that promises to never lose suction.  Well after checking out the reviews for this one and seeing that some people were not impressed I hesitantly ordered it anyway.  I'm a rebel like that. And for what I needed it for-I love it!  The 12 minute charge works just fine for me whereas most people complained about the short time. And it does a super job on my kitchen rug.

Things I like about the Dyson...



  • Fully charges in 3 hours.
  • The charge turns off when done so the battery won't get ruined. (But I still unplug it)
  • Extremely easy to empty dirt out of the canister.
  • Very easy to remove the long handle to turn it into a hand vac.
  • Easy to use attachments.  (Great cleaning crumbs in those hard to reach places.)
  • So lightweight!
  • It doesn't "wind down" when the battery is going down.  It just stops when the battery is depleted so you have good suction until it dies.
  • Easy to clean the rotating brush to remove hair that gets wound around the brush.


The only thing I don't like about it is that it will not stand up on its own, so storing it required some thinking. Some versions of the Dyson stick vacuum come with a wall mount charger, but mine did not.  I found a double hook at Lowe's and problem solved. (Can't find online.)






I found this organizer at Target to hold all of the other stick things that were leaning inside our laundry room closet and were always getting knocked over.  Now I can just grab the cleaning tool I need easily.  Love this set up!






I still use the Dirt Devil in our bathrooms though. Both the Electrolux and Dyson have a rotating brush that gets wound with all of our long girl hair.  And do we ever shed!  So to keep from having to remove/cut the hair from the rotating brush, I just use the Dirt Devil sans brush in the bathrooms. Easy Peasy.

So in a year or so when my Dyson is hopefully still sucking to its optimal power (That's What She Said!) I will be happy I spent going on $200 for a stick vacuum that only works for 12 minutes at a time. We shall see. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!